Ok, so it is Macworld, probably one of the biggest events for Mac users all over and true to form, Jobs has unveiled a ton of unbelievably sexy stuff just months after I bought myself this lovable 12inch PowerBook. I am starting to think I have been singled out for this special kind of torture. I’m not going to reproduce any of the reports in any real detail (I’m feeling a little nauseous and don’t think I can cope with the rehash of all the news) so take a look at Yahoo! News’ coverage. In the meantime, here are the highlights:
- First, there are the new Intel based iMacs that run at up to twice the speed of their G5 equivalents;
- Next we have the newly named MacBook Pros that run at up to four times the speed of the benchmark 15 inch PowerBook (yikes!);
- iLife has been upgraded to a ’06 version (where, of course, everything runs faster and better) and includes iWeb, a blogging and web-services app (I have been hoping for upgrade news for my iLife ’05 but nothing yet);
- iWork now has an ’06 version although there is still no equivalent of Excel (Microsoft is apparently on track to deliver versions of Office for Mac and Messenger that will work on the new Intel machines as well as PowerPC machines);
- OS X Tiger has a further (and apparently final) incremental upgrade to 10.4.4 (supposed to be released today); and
- the “iPod Radio Remote is a convenient way for music lovers to skip tracks and adjust the volume of their iPod even when it’s in a pocket or backpack, and listen to FM radio stations while displaying station and song information on their iPod screen”.
New software will now feature a snazzy icon to indicate that it is based on universal binaries (not sure if that is the correct terminology but it means the stuff works on old machines and new hotties). There is so much more and I wonder how much more will still emerge from the show which runs till the 13th.
There was talk of a possible iMac mini duly altered to run as an Apple media centre in the home. I am hoping for something like that one day. Let’s see what happens in the next few days. Then again, something like that may come in a few months time. For now, isn’t this a lot of awesome stuff?
I am still a bit pissed off. Real gadget envy kind of pissed off!