Last night saw the first of what I hope will be many 27dinners. The 27dinner was held at The Studio, Primi Piatti in Rosebank, Johannesburg last night. The dinner was arranged by the guys at Cerebra, Mike Stopforth, Dave Duarte (who made an appearance all the way up from Cape Town) and Carl Spies. It wasn’t a Cerebra branded event but they did a great job organising it. The intention is to have a 27dinner every month on the 27th of the month, alternating between Johannesburg and Cape Town. So, what’s a 27dinner then?
27 is a get together, held on the 27th day of each month for geeks, marketers, entrepreneurs, writers, media practitioners, speakers – well, just about anybody who is keen – to share ideas and news and opinions over food and drink. Alternating between Jozi and Cape Town, 27 is open to anyone who wants to attend (and/or contribute).
There were a few speakers at the dinner who spoke about a range of topics, mostly new media related topics:
- Carly Ritz spoke about a project she is involved interested in and which aims to give children a voice;
- Dave Duarte spoke about marketing issues and new media;
- Mike Stopforth spoke about, well, quite a bit as he was also our host/MC;
- I got to talk about the 3puppies media network and blogging in general;
- Vincent Maher talked a bit about what Mail & Guardian Online is doing in the new media space and will be doing in the near future; and
- Andy Hadfield spoke about what he has been doing with his various projects.
In all it was a great experience meeting bloggers and non-bloggers alike. These gatherings really do great things for community building in general and we look forward to attending a 27dinner in Cape Town soon.